Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Woman" by Nikki Giovanni

I think this poem is about a woman who wanted to be so many things and when she looked for support in her partner he refused to be there for her. In the end instead of being depressed and upset she decided that it was alright that he didn't want to be a man for her. There are many metaphors in this poem because she compares herself to things(a blade, robin, web, a book, a bulb, and a woman). It also gives you imagery (grass amid the fields). I think Giovanni wanted this woman to feel disappointed and then self assured in the end. I think Giovanni wanted the readers to feel sympathy and somewhat happy for her independence with the ending. The shift happened when she decided it was all right when he didn't want to be a man for her. The title means a woman can be independent and it be okay. The theme is women are strong without a man to disappoint.

I like this poem because it shows the strength of this woman. Although she wanted him to be so many things for her when he refused she decided that it was okay. Every woman on earth is disappointed by a man some time in their life and for her to be able to accept it gives inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how you girls have all chosen to read the same poems. I'm glad you like the "I am Woman--Hear me Roar!" poem!

    ReplyDelete