Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Dear Tia" by Carolina Hospital

This poem is about a child that never really knew their mother. She was scared to write for so long and tried to act like her mother never existed. The poem has a paradox (in a land so familiarly foreign), and imagery (the sweetness of your bath). The author feels scared to write to her mother. She feels depressed because she never got the chance to experience anything with her at all. I think the author wants the reader to feel some of the pain that she felt. The shift happens when she reveals that the person she's writing about is her mother in line 12. The title is the name of her mother. The theme is no matter what has happened it is in a child's nature to love their mother.

I loved how this poem is written but it made me depressed. I can't imagine how she feels. I would be so scared to write to my mother after all those years. I wondered how she even knew her address.

No comments:

Post a Comment