Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Another Descent" by Wendell Berry

I think when winter comes around these people in the poem feel like they aren't even on earth because the weather is so harsh. When spring comes back around they feel like they have their home again and everything is brighter. This poem uses hyperbole (We walked above the ground on fallen sky), simile (rivulets run like songbirds on the slopes), personification (branches of light sing in the hills), imagery (branches of light, March warms), extended metaphor (Winter is another planet, and spring is their earth). I think the author feels on one hand miserable and on the other hopeful. I think he wants the readers to feel sympathetic for him and the people. The shift happens when he talks about the warm March and the hope that March brings. The title means that they were descending from a harsh winter which felt like another planet, to a warm home they call earth. The theme for this poem is life goes through its cycles of ups and downs.

I think this poem is very expressive and emotional but in a reserved way. I liked the fact how he expressed how he felt and made me paint a mental picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment