Thursday, March 25, 2010

Heart of Darkness Part 2 & 3

Marlow overhears the manager and his uncle questioning Kurtz and his methods. Krutz is deathly ill and Marlow, the manager, the clerk, and pilgrims start a journey on Marlow's repaired steamer to find him. On the way many elements test Marlow such as the weather and the direction and choppiness of the tide.

They stop to find a stack of firewood and a note was found that stated, "Wood for you. Hurry up. Approach cautiously." There was also a code a note that was suspected to be the work of the Russian trader. They continue their journey and are attacked by a group of natives, who killed one of their crew. They finally arrive at the Inner Station where they run into the Russian who is surprisingly and extremely fond of Krutz. They find Kurtz but he doesn't want to return to England, infact, he's the one who ordered the attack from the natives. The natives worship Kurtz and want him to stay. In the night Kurtz escaped from Marlow in attempts to reach the natives but Marlow caught him and the next day they were headed back to England. Kurtz dies on the river and his last words were, "The horror! The horror!"

Marlow returns and pays a visit to Kurtz's fiance who is in terrible mourning. She asked Marlow what was Kurtz's last words and he couldn't bring himself to tell her the truth so he lied and said he spoke her name.


Response: I'm not very fond of this book. I hate when it takes an author ten pages to state one fact. I did however love some of the insightful quotes that really made me think such as, "They had behind them, to my mind, the terrific suggestiveness of words heard in dreams, of phrases spoken in nightmares." I also admired Marlow and his outlook towards the end and I respected his loyalty for Kurtz. It amazed of how Kurtz had such a strong affect on people. Some people are natural leaders. I know how it is to lose someone and I would want someone to lie to me in a situation like that. Who wants to think of their loved ones in pain and suffering in their last hours? I'm glad Marlow lied and saved that woman of even more pain and heartache.

I'm ready to read something abundantly and ridiculously happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment