Sunday, January 17, 2010

P&P chapters 35-50

Darcy just left Elizabeth after he proposed and handed her a letter. It exposed Wickham for the liar and con artist that he was. Wickham was planning a scam to marry Darcy's younger sister in order to get the family inheritance. Elizabeth felt terrible for how she treated Darcy in his proposal and was shocked about Wickham.


Elizabeth accompanied her aunt and uncle to visit the lovely Derbyshire. On the way the Gardiners insist on making a stop at Pemberly. They state that Darcy, who is the master, will not be there. However Darcy arrives home early and his affection and admiration towards Elizabeth grows the whole time of her stay. Elizabeth is confused about her feelings towards Darcy but refuses to make a move. Jane sends Elizabeth a letter saying they must return at once because Lydia ran away with Wickham and Mr. Gardiner must help her father find them. Mrs. Bennett is ridiculously hysterical about Lydia's disappearance. Mr. Gardiner finds Lydia and Whickham and bribes him with a large sum of money to marry her. At this news Mrs. Bennett makes a miraculous recovery and starts to make all the plans for the wedding. Elizabeth is filled with sadness because she feels like she has lost Darcy because of her sister's scandalous actons.


I like this section of the book so much more than I did the first! I almost feel like I'm watching a soap opera.
I hate that Elizabeth rejected Darcy and accused him of all those things. I want them to get together so bad but one thing after another keeps happening to prevent it. I hated how Elizabeth was still somewhat closed to Darcy at Pemberly. I was shocked whenever the whole Lydia scandal happened. It was so random. I hated how I actually liked Whickam because he fooled me too. It amazed me that running away with someone was so unheard of. I figured it happened a lot due to all the pressure of getting married and whatnot. I was pissed at Mrs. Bennett because she's such a drama whore. She doesn't really care about her girls. She just wants to marry them all off so she doesn't have to worry about them anymore. I think Lydia is a selfish brat. I really feel bad for all the other girls because it's going to be hard for them to get married now that their reputation is screwed.


I enjoyed this part of the book and can't wait to see all the drama that is to come.

1 comment:

  1. So you're not totally anti-Jane Austen anymore? And and of course Lizzie wasn't going to make a move on Darcy at Pemberly! Austen heroines don't "make moves."...lol

    ReplyDelete